BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones review

(Sorry about the "click to look inside" bit!)

Title: What My Mother Doesn't Know
Author: Sonya Sones
Publisher/Year: Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing (2003)
Pages (Paperback reprint): 259
MSRP (Paperback reprint): $7.99
Rating: * * * * */5

I've always had a soft spot for novels in verse like these, which is good for me because there's been a lot published lately- but Sones was one of the first, and is still today one of the best! I absolutely loved Stop Pretending, her authobiographical debut (also in verse, as all her novels are). This one is just as wonderful and touching, if not nearly as sad.

Firstly, it was written beautifully. If it hadn't been written in this form, it wouldn't have had the brilliant effect it has when you finish it, in my opinion. Every time I read Ms. Sone's work, I'm amazed by how perfectly you can grasp the character's personality and emotions, their sorrow and guilt and happiness- better than many authors capture it.

As for the characters, they held up just as well. Sophie, the main character, was completely realistic and likeable. And Robin? Possibly the best male lead in a book ever. Even before the plot happened (I don't want to say what happened!) I liked him!

Speaking of plot, I loved this one's. Unlike more chick-litty novels, this one was unpredictable and original, but with all the charm of chick lit. Another must read!

P.S. Is it true that "What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know" is from the point of view of Murphy/Robin? If so I've got to go to the library NOW.

My Blogoversary!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Visitors Since June 28th 2009