BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Heaven Looks A Lot Like the Mall Review; My Assignment Turnout


Title: Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall
Author: Wendy Mass
Edition: Paperback Reprint
Publisher: Little, Brown
MSRP: $7.99
Pages (numbered): 251 pp
Rating: * * * */5
(So, I really like this new format. I cover more points and it's more organized. Agreed? TOO BAD if not coz it's my blog- MUAHAHAHAHA!! *ahem* Sorry ;))

Synopsis- When 16 year old Tessa suffers a shocking accident in gym class, she finds herself in heaven (or what she thinks is heaven), which happens to bear a striking resemblance to her hometown mall. In the tradition of "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Carol", Tessa starts reliving hrt life up until that moment. She sees some things she'd rather forget. learns some things about herself she'd rather not know, and ultimately must find the answer to one burning question-- if only she knew what that question was.

Written in sharp, witty verse, Wendy Mass crafts an extraordinary tale of a spunky heroine who hasn't always made the right choices, but who needs to discover what makes life worth living.

PLOT- I loved the way this book was plotted out: once you got into it, and she's given a bag with seemingly random items purchased by/for her throughout the years at the mall, and she tells the story behind each. I LOVED that! You really got to know Tessa, for better or worse, and all her imperfections. It was executed beautifully.

CHARACTERS- Seeing as it's a verse kind of thing (not rhymy, though. I couldn't take it if it was :{) there aren't neccessarily a lot of characters. Mainly Tessa, her family, and her 3 friends. But Tessa was really wonderfully written- expressed perfectly, and her faults are shown as well as the good times, which is important. She seems so real. My complaint about it, though, is Tessa is kinda a horrible person! She steals and lies shamelessly, and she was SO unbelievably self-centered. But looking back, I think that was the point- sure, she did some awful things in her life, things she tries to forget, but that doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to live. But, y'know what, it could have been done down a little. :(

SETTING- I loved the mall heaven thing! It was so different and fun.

START/ENDING- Start was pretty good. It definitely drew me in- I was standing in front of the shelve at B and N, and I read the whole first 20 pages just standing like that! Then my legs started cramping, and some really tall dude is guyliner, etc. pretty much knocked me over. So I just went and bought it :)
Overall: A quick yet deep book that won't leave you dissapointed, and will have you thinking enough as this summer comes to an end so as to remove some summer brain damage.
P.S. Here's my English journal, how it turned out ( I found my camera!):
Do ya like it? I was v. v. picky about the movies :P And the books on the back are a) my favorites or b) books that have meant something important to this blog. Also, any thoughts on my button for Serendipity Reviews? I used Picnik- ridiculously easy and fun, BTW- at midnight last night, so I'm not sure if I was fully under creative influence :P JK.
Also, for your viewing pleasure, here's some piccys of my puppy Maddi:
Enjoy! xD

11 comments:

Kelsey said...

Nice review! I loved that book. The journal cover is a great idea. Casablanca is one of my favorite movies! By the way, your dog is sooo cute (:

Sunkissed said...

Ahh!! Breakfast at tiffanys is my favorite movie!!! Plus waitress is so cute!! Your books are really cute too!! xoxoxo Rachel

margo said...

OMG YOUR DOG LOOKS SUPER CUTE!! It look likes she's smiling in the pic!!

And your book turned out wonderfully!!! GOOD JOB!! :)

oh and btw you have an award on my blog ! :)

http://bookwormbarista.blogspot.com/2009/08/passing-on-cheer.html

Amy said...

This looks like a cool book.

Sara from DBR said...

Aww, your dog is so cute! And I <3 your a) new format, and b) your English journal.

Replying to your comment on what does :L mean - Go onto H's About Books site and look for her Ember Fury review. Then look for my comment on that post. Tells you what Jack is :)

Also, :L comes up with a laughing emoticon when you type it into MSN/IM. I use it way too much, but it basically is just saying that I think it's funny. Like lol. Which I should reaaally use instead :L < THAT WAS JUST HABIT. I didn't even realise I did a :L until I checked over my comment! lol.

Sara from DBR said...

Also, here's the link to my Double Cross review - http://dragonflybookreviews.blogspot.com/2008/12/double-cross.html

Sara from DBR said...

Yet another comment reply :L

Aww, I <3 how you spell your name - it is special, in a good way! All through my life, people have been mispronouncing my name and adding 'h' onto it because it's spelt differently, at least in Scotland. But I like it :) Makes me feel special and unique - like how you spell your name Meggin. Only downside is that I'm named after a Bob Dylan song. He's my dad's fave artist, but not mine :L If you get what I'm trying to say.

Sara from DBR said...

Yet another comment for you ^D^

You won an award at my blog.

Check out my Awards :o) post for rules :)

B.A.M. Book Reviews said...

Aww! What a cute puppy :D

-Briana

margo said...

Sorry - but I was reading everyone's comments being the nosy blogger that I am. Annnnd I noticed how Sara was commenting on the spelling of your name,

well I have a funny story for you - I promise it's quick

Ok, so I was writing my friend a letter (her name is Meghan too!) and I didn't notice until I was done that I had been spelling it MEGGIN!!! HAHAHAHAHA I was totally like "OMG! I can't send this to her! She doesn't spell it that way! And will wonder why I spelled it that way!"

It just goes to show that I've gotten used to spelling Meggin that way:) and she spells her name MEGHAN. Hmm blogger didn't say it was misspelled when it was in caps. Ok well umm yeah.

THE END

Meggin said...

Yay, comment time! I really need to catch up on these- I can't figure out where they are when I moderate them so I forget :P (That's the whole reason I moderate them, actually.)

Anways, thanks guys, glad you liked the cover :) My teacher didn't, however. She was all, "HOW does that relate to your life?" *sigh* well, teachers never like me. I grew up watching them, I think that counts for something! Oops, rant :P

Happy you think Maddi si cute, even after that last one where she looks possessed- lol :)

Thanks for the awards you guys! I'm gonna have to go to bed after this, so expect the post around 4 tomorrow. Coz I know you just sit at your computer all day, just WAITING for the second I post ;)

No, thanks for that lovely story margo! :) LOL- if it was me I'd have mailed it anyways xD Glad you don't think my name's just freaky (wow, sure am glad about stuff today huh)!

Oh, Sara, lol I'm such an idiot! I thought it was like a grimace- and I was all, "what does 'haha :L' mean?" I so lame :P It looks a little menacing though... xD

Also, I am deeply sorry you're named after a BD song- but, well, it could be a Prince song, right? (I'm sleepy, having trouble coming up w/ a more awful artist!) JK :) I like Sara spelled like that. ALso, GLAD (there it is again) to hear that we're both special in a non-speshul ed way :)

G'night all!

My Blogoversary!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Visitors Since June 28th 2009